Be humane. Dissection should not be mandatory.

w.khanmeyyappandualcolumnphoto.3.27w.khanmeyyappandualcolumnphoto.3.27I have a pretty amazing body. You do too. Actually, most people do.  I know this for a fact because I’m taking human anatomy and physiology this year. Every Gold Day morning, I learn a little bit more about the miraculous nature of the human body and the magic that is life. However, it’s ironic that in order for me to learn about life, deaths have to occur.

In this past school year, we dissected a sheep brain and a cow eye. While I personally was grossed out by the dissections, it wasn’t until the dissection of the fetal pig that I couldn’t get over how wrong it was.

The fetuses that are used in the dissections are taken from pregnant sows at the slaughterhouse. Female pigs are slaughtered and their fetuses are taken out and have their throats slit. According to the Humane Society, almost all of the 97 million pigs slaughtered annually for human consumption in the United States are raised in crowded, confined settings where the animals are deprived of decent living conditions. The fetal pigs that end up in our dissection trays are byproducts of the cruel treatment of animals raised for human consumption.  By using these pigs, we are inadvertently also accepting and encouraging this horrible treatment.

What especially surprised me about this whole situation was the large amount of students joking about the dissection and posting pictures with the dead animals on social media. Classroom dissections assist in desensitizing students to the value of life, which can negatively affect them later in life. Sarah Gillim and Erin Odya, two of the human anatomy and physiology teachers, said that there isn’t an option for students to sit out of a dissection because they signed up knowing that dissections were part of the syllabus.  I agree that students knew what they were going to do beforehand, but I also believe that the class should be open to students who may be uncomfortable with this process. There are other ways for students to learn about how the body works that do not involve taking apart the insides of an animal. For example, advanced technology in computers now offers virtual dissections.

A student should not have to participate in a dissection if he or she is ethically uncomfortable with it, and an equal alternative should certainly be offered. Many states, including Illinois and Florida, already have laws that allow students to choose humane alternatives without being penalized. Indiana should also follow this example. The human body is undoubtedly fascinating, but more humane ways to study it would greatly benefit everyone.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the HiLite staff. Reach Nivedha Meyyappan at [email protected].

View Comments (2)
$20
$500

• M

ManBearPigMar 28, 2014 at 8:48 pm

So . . . you are taking an anatomy class. How do you think we came up with at least half of the scientific information in your anatomy books? Your first world problems are so incredibly close minded. There are poor and uneducated children across the world who would love to learn how anatomy via dissections, and yet you claim some superious, esoteric ethical assertion against dissections when you have failed to consider that A) the specimen is already dead and no amount of bitching/legislating/crappy reasoning to the school and its newspaper will ever change the market for fetal pigs to be dissected and will never bring it back to life, and B) there are countless vegans and other animal rights supporters who support animal dissections because they recognize it is necessary for educational purposes. What do you think students in med school have to do? Play computer simulations all day and dissect Barbie dolls? Learning on computer simulations is like asking Navy Seals to learn survival skills while playing Oregon Trail. Let’s have psychiatrists play The Sims to earn their degrees!

Dissections play an incredibly important part in science and education. It helps student/medical professional form a bond that can’t be learned via a computer program. The cringe of a cancer patient as the chemo needle is inserted . . . the nervousness of a young child undergoing surgery. Dissections provide an integral first step, the proverbial sticking your toe in the water if you will, into realizing that science at its best is about serving humanity. How does a computer program teach that? You can’t simply move from computer program to performing open heart surgery, let alone computer program cannot teach the amalgam of science and humanity.

And because other states have written laws on the subject doesn’t mean its right. Look at Arizona for example regarding SB1070 … or look at Indiana when it tried legislating that pi should equal exactly 3. Laws don’t equate to morality.

Reply
    • R

ReaderApr 1, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I think you need to realize that the writer wasn’t trying to force everyone to stop doing dissections and even though you don’t agree with it, it’s still a good column

Reply