GKOM callout meeting April 14

By Hope Boyer

The GKOM callout meeting for the 2009-2010 group of GKOMs will take place on April 14. It will take place in the auditorium during second session of SRT. Students in grades 10 and 11 are welcome to attend the callout meeting. Next year at CHS, the GKOM organization will be led by Jennifer Powell.

“GKOM is a really fun position. It teaches a lot about responsibility and teaches students a lot about leadership and what it takes to be a leader,” Avery Sanders, GKOM representative and senior, said.

ROLE MODEL: Senior Avery Sanders speaks to her freshman SRT as a GKOM. If other students are interesting in becoming a GKOM like Sanders, there is a callout meeting on April 14. KATE GRUMME / PHOTO

The GKOM organization was created in order to make entering the high school an easier transition from the smaller middle school according to Sanders.

Sophomore Natalie Addington said, “When I was a freshman, the first day I came to the high school I was lost. But thanks to my GKOM, it was a lot easier to find my way around and figure out where all of my classes were. After seeing how beneficial it was for me, I really want to take a part in it sometime during high school.”

Normally, GKOMs will spend the first semester with their freshman SRT, showing them around the high school and showing them their different classes.

Sanders said, “After the first semester is over, most GKOMs don’t go back to visit the freshman that they helped show around. But I met so many new kids in the SRT that I was in charge of, that I went back as much as I could to visit them. I also began tutoring one of the freshmen.”

At the callout meeting, current sophomores and juniors will have the opportunity to apply for the position of a GKOM. Students who are interested in becoming a GKOM next year will receive applications for the position. If students are interested, they must be willing to spend first semester SRT working with the new freshmen, according to Powell.

Applications are due April 22 by 3:30 p.m. to the activities office.

Sanders said, “Being a GKOM was one of my favorite things about CHS. It was a really fulfilling experience that I encourage many students to do.”