Teams, fans keep composure during games despite high level of intensity

During a CHS home game, one might notice how fans show support for their Greyhounds as the stands are filled in a sea of fans wearing blue and gold. One might also notice that the CHS fans are relatively well-behaved during games.

Scott Heady, head coach of the men’s basketball team, argues a call during a home basketball game. He said it is important for coaches to stay calm since the players take after the coaches’ demeanor. ALEX YOM / PHOTO

“We haven’t had (a fight) happen yet. If it does, administration would come and take care of it,” McGeehan said.Both Williams and Wolf said the administration does a lot to prevent altercations at home events.

“We have a very detailed plan of supervision, and if you’ve been to any of our home events or our away events, you will always see a number of administrators there supervising and being around our kids,” Williams said. “We have a security plan. We have police officers and all of the things we need in case if there are problems. Sometimes if you are preventative, then you don’t have to worry about problems.”

Wolf and Williams said administration would act quickly. Both said if the instigators are CHS students, administrators would implement discipline.

“Once order is restored, school discipline is implemented,” Wolf said. “All school rules apply to a school-sponsored event.”

Scott Heady, head coach of the men’s basketball team, agrees that maintaining composure during games is important. As coach, Heady said it is important for the coaches to stay calm since the players take after the coaches’ demeanor. Heady said that while there might be bad calls by the referees, he understands the referees are doing their best and he might let some of the calls slide. In addition, Heady said the team does a good job staying well-behaved.

“(Players) do a great job in not showing a lot of negative emotion and they don’t get wrapped up into calls or anything,” Heady said.

Assistant Athletics Director Bruce Wolf (left) and Assistant Principal Joseph Schaller (right) talk during a men’s basketball game against Lawrence North. Wolf said students know how to behave during games. ALEX YOM / PHOTO

When fans of opposing schools come to CHS to watch their team face Carmel, many opposing fans chant the catchphrase, “We hate Carmel”. Despite this, Wolf, Williams and McGeehan said that the chant

does not bother them that much. In fact, Williams said that opposing fans say this to motivate their own fanbase and to contend with Carmel’s fanbase.“The fact that other schools want to chant those things, we almost see that as a sign of respect. Maybe envy,” he said. “As far as our students are going, we try not to respond and we don’t say things like ‘We hate Fishers’ or ‘We hate HSE.’ We just try to focus on our kids, our team and our school, and try to be positive.”

Wolf and Williams said the students do a good job governing themselves.

Wolf said, “We really do feel our support for athletics is exemplary, and the way we show our support shows who we are and why we are successful.”

To see what happens when fans lose their cool, click this link to learn about famous brawls. http://greyhoundmedia.org/sports/files/2014/02/Screen-Shot-2014-02-25-at-11.42.06-AM2.png