Coming to a Theater Near you: Studio one acts to run from Sept. 25 to 27

Kyle Crawford
STUDIO FUN: In the Studio Theater, director and senior Kinsey Erickson directs rehearsal for the upcoming Studio One Acts. The acts will include four one-act, comedic plays.

Sept. 25 to 27, the cast and crew members of the Studio One Acts plan to host a series of short plays from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Studio Theater. According to Kinsey Erickson, student director and senior, the performances provide opportunities for anyone who has an interest in theatre and comedy to watch or partake in fast-paced plays.

“Studio One Acts are four one-act plays that seniors at Carmel High School, who have been selected, direct,” she said. “(The performance) is a really fun way to get introduced to theater at the high school. It’s the freshmen’s first opportunity this year to see a play.”

Jim Peterson, producer and sponsor of the Studio One Acts, said he agrees with Erickson and that students should look forward to the originality of the plot and setup behind each performance.

“(The show) is not a formal sit-down, and (the plays) always have a funny twist to them, so I think they should really look forward to having a good time. It’s a lot of fun, and it’s a short-attention span theater,” he said. “They’re great because they’re short and are one-acts, and they’re shorter than a lot of one-acts. Some of them may only be like 10 or 20 minutes long. It’s kind of fun in that format to go really quickly and move on to see another story.”

Erickson said the directors choose published plays that have a comical plot in order for their audience to have an enjoyable experience. For this very reason, Erickson has chosen “The Plaid Man” because in the it, Cupid and Death are in a manipulative relationship.

“(Death and Cupid) are dating, and what they do for is fun is they take control of other couples and make them fight so they have a live-action drama of them for their kicks and giggles,” Erickson said. “So on their date, they’re having a nice dinner. They’re controlling this couple, George and Martha, and they’re making them bicker back and forth. In the process of that, Death and Cupid actually start talking about their future and relationship, and they’re doing it through George and Martha. So it’s really crazy, but it’s fun. It’s a lot of ridiculous situations.

In addition to The Plaid Man, there are three more plays: Driver’s Test, Soap Opera and May the Best Fan Win.

According to Haley Glickman, cast member and junior, in Driver’s Test, a woman attempts to get her license from her zany driving instructor. In Soap Opera, a man falls in love with his washer machine. In May the Best Fan Win, a group of people watch and commentate on another group of people watching a sporting event.

Glickman said although the plots are unusual, people will enjoy the shows because of the comical storylines and situations.

“The One Acts are a lot about physical comedy,” she said. “They sound really weird, but (they) are actually really funny.”