CHS students to perform at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend

Jake Matthews, bass guitarist and senior, will perform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland this weekend from Nov. 14 to Nov. 16

Freshman Anna Fagin and sophomore Nick Konkoli are also musicians in the eight-member band that will perform eight to 10 songs at the venue.

Freshman Anna Fagin does her homework during SRT. She said that she is one of the musicians who will be performing at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, OH. LAXMI PALDE / PHOTO
Freshman Anna Fagin does her homework during SRT. She said that she is one of the musicians who will be performing at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. LAXMI PALDE / PHOTO

Matthews said he got this opportunity through his involvement in the Carmel School of Rock.

According to Matthews, the group has been practicing every Saturday morning for the past couple months in preparation for the event.

“We’ve been working really hard at it, getting all the songs down, and also, I guess, our musical connection to the songs.

He said that after the group learns the songs, it focuses on other aspects such as stage presence, transitions and communication between band members.

Matthews said, “I think it’s a really cool opportunity to play at a nationally recognized place. I’ve never seen myself being able to play at this place. It’s just a really cool venue, and I’m really excited about it.”

Matthews said has played in the School of Rock for one and a half years and has been playing guitar for nine and a half years.

“Music means a lot to me,” he said. “It’s something that I’ve done for more than half my life. I use it as a way to express myself, I use it to show off what I can do and I use it as a form of entertainment.”