Art Department to collaborate with orchestra for winter concert

Senior Dana Hsu and friends stop to look at artwork on display during the art show on Nov. 18 in the commons. Hsu will create an original piece inspired by “The Polar Express” to be displayed in a similar fashion during the winter orchestra concert on Dec. 10. LILLY ST. ANGELO / PHOTO
Senior Dana Hsu and friends stop to look at artwork on display during the art show on Nov. 18 in the commons. Hsu will create an original piece inspired by "The Polar Express" to be displayed in a similar fashion during the winter orchestra concert on Dec. 10. LILLY ST. ANGELO / PHOTO

On Dec. 10, art students will display original artwork inspired by the music and story of “The Polar Express” at the CHS orchestras’ winter concert. The symphony orchestra will perform the suite from “The Polar Express” movie soundtrack in their performance, and images of the artwork will be displayed on a large screen above the stage and outside the auditorium according to art department chairperson Jen Bubp.

“This is the first time we’ve ever collaborated with the orchestra department and I’m really excited,” Bubp said. The displayed drawings and paintings will be created predominantly by Drawing 1 students but students who are involved in art classes and orchestra will also have the opportunity to showcase their artwork.

Dana Hsu, art and orchestra student and senior, plans on creating an original piece for the concert.

“I  think it’s pretty cool that I get to combine two of the things I love. “The Polar Express” piece we’re doing is really fun and the artwork will just add so much to it,” Hsu said. Hsu is not sure yet what she will paint or draw but she said her piece will probably have snow in it.

“Students will probably paint or draw wintry scenes or whatever they feel inspired to create,” Bubp said. She has yet to introduce the project to her students.

Other happenings in the art department include an upcoming art contest. According to Bubp, entries for an art competition being held at Butler are due by Dec. 16. Students who win awards in the regional round have the chance to go on to show their art at Carnegie Hall in a national show.