K-8 Mentors to start meeting with mentees every week

Pletcher goes through the K-8 Mentoring handbook with a student. The K-8 Mentors are required to finish learning the handbook before they are allowed to start mentoring.

The K-8 Mentors just finished touring all of the elementary and middle school in the Carmel Clay Schools District. During the tours, the mentors met the counselors at every school and talked about rules and regulations. Each mentor is assigned four students and they received their assignments last Thursday, Oct. 13. The mentors meet with their students once a week for half an hour.

K-8 Mentoring is very helpful for the students within the program because the mentors can get experience outside of school and the mentees are able to have an older friend who is able to guide them along. “The only thing the kids look forward to that week is going to school and spending that half hour with their mentor,” said Robin Pletcher, K-8 Mentoring sponsor and social studies teacher.

The mentors will start their meetings with their mentees on Thursday, Oct. 20, during SRT. “Our activities can be very broad and can vary for every mentor depending on how they want to connect with their mentee,” said Grant Troyer, K-8 Mentor and senior.