Row Models: Q&A with sophomore competitive rower Layla Qureshi

TRAINING+DAY%3A+Qureshi+trains+on+the+rowing+machine.+She+said+rowing+really+helped+her+learn+who+she+was.+She+said+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+able+to+push+myself+in+a+way+I+didn%E2%80%99t+know+how+to+before%2C+and+I+feel+like+it%E2%80%99s+made+me+stronger%E2%80%9D.+
TRAINING DAY: Qureshi trains on the rowing machine. She said rowing really helped her learn who she was. She said “I’m able to push myself in a way I didn’t know how to before, and I feel like it’s made me stronger”.

Avery Thorpe

Avery Thorpe

Jordyn Blakey, 15 Minutes of Fame Editor

Why did you start rowing?

I started rowing the summer before freshman year. I kind of just stumbled upon it; I had done various sports all my life. I found rowing, and it was so interesting, and (I’ve) liked it ever since.

What is an enjoyable part of rowing?

I think the most enjoyable part is knowing how much of a mental challenge it is. Yes, of course, it’s a physical challenge, but I’ve never had an activity where you find yourself mentally pushing through challenges, and you find out who you are.

Avery Thorpe
Qureshi chooses her boat with her coach. She said, “It’s really encouraging to see everyone working hard and we’re all giving it our all for each other.”

What is the hardest part about rowing?

I think the hardest part is definitely the mental factor of it because, during a race or even during practice, of course, it physically hurts but that goes for a lot of sports. With rowing, there’s no break. You don’t just stop once you score a goal or stop for a time-out. No one can tell you, “Oh it’s almost over.” You have to be confident in yourself and push through the pain. Mentally, it’s really hard, but once you do it, it feels good.

Layla Qureshi || SUBMITTED PHOTO
Qureshi rows with her teammates. Qureshi said because of their relationship, they rely heavily on each other.

What do you hope to do with rowing in the future?

Rowing’s getting really popular in college now, so I hope that (with) my experience from high school, I can further my rowing career in college. I feel like a lot of the people who do it in college are walk-ons, so I feel like it would be good to have the experience because I’ll already be familiar with everything, and hopefully that will make me further ahead in college.

Avery Thorpe
Qureshi retrieves her oar before she starts practice. She said she hopes to expand her rowing career after high school.

What’s the relationship like with your teammates?

We’re all super close because we’re together all the time. It’s really a team sport, but also an individual sport. It’s individual (because) you’re working out and pushing yourself, but the boat won’t work unless everyone works together. One thing our coach always says is, “Push for the people ahead and behind you, not yourself.” Do it for them. I think that really just sums up the dynamic between the kids and the coaches.

1

About the Photographer
Avery Thorpe, Web Content Editor

Hi, my name is Avery Thorpe and I’m an Online Editor for the Hilite. This is my second year on staff and last year my primary role was being a reporter....