Do Something Club to meet March 5 after school to work on current fundraisers

Do Something Club sponsor James Ziegler organizes donations for the SENSE Charter School canned food drive that the club is currently conducting. Ziegler said that the fundraisers, which is a competition between the various departments of the school, will March 5.

Angela Li

Do Something Club will meet today, March 5, after school to finalize their canned food drive and plan their upcoming fundraisers, according to Samantha Kadinger, Do Something club member and senior.

“We are finishing up a food and toiletries drive right now. Our goal is to get as many items as possible so we can help those at the SENSE Charter School,” Kadinger said.

According to Do Something Club sponsor James Ziegler, the club will be collecting and counting all the donations from the food drive at the meeting tomorrow. Additionally, Ziegler said the club will plan their upcoming trip to the Summer Trace Nursing Home, as well as discuss their Veterans Walk-A-Thon planned for May 11.

“It’s going to be open to the community, and we’re going to have food trucks, club booths and music at the event. We’re going to need a whole bunch of volunteers and it’s going to a pretty big endeavor, so we’re going to start planning out what we need to do to make sure everything goes smoothly for that event,” Ziegler said.

Ziegler said the club hopes to have a positive impact on the community and help those in need through these projects.

“The Veterans Walk-A-Thon is building off of what we started first semester with our Walk-A-Thon in November, and the idea is just trying to raise money to help promote support for veterans battling mental illnesses. In our country, sadly, we put billions and billions of dollars towards our defense budget and going to wars and things like that, but we don’t take care of our veterans when they come home. The veterans’ homelessness rate is much higher than the average American citizens’ homelessness rate. In addition to that, we do a very bad job of helping provide supports for veterans with mental illnesses, PTSD and others, and so that’s really the goal of this Walk-A-Thon, (to) raise awareness around this issue as well as raise money to help support programs that provide assistance to those veterans.”

0
Angela Li, Cover Story Editor

Hello! My name is Angela Li, and I am the Cover Story Editor of the HiLite Newsmagazine. Last year, I primarily worked as a News Reporter on staff; you...