New Schedule: CCS to release proposal for later starting CHS schedule after spring break

Superintendent Michael Beresford comments on the students excitement for spring break. Beresford hopes their time off goes well.
Superintendent Michael Beresford comments on the student’s excitement for spring break. Beresford hopes their time off goes well.

According to Superintendent Michael Beresford, CCS is going to unveil proposals for altered schedules after spring break. Beresford said this is being done so that parents and community members can offer input until the end of the school year on the proposed changes.

“We’ve been working on these changes for a long time and we want to see if there is a positive reaction from the community members. If that’s the case, then we will move forward in the process,” Beresford said.

In particular, according to Beresford, the proposal for CHS is going to include later starting and ending times.

“There’s a lot of research that shows that later start times are good for students. We want to adapt and hopefully find a schedule that accommodates the needs of our students,” Beresford said.

However, according to student body president Tim Metken, the current start times comes with advantages that a later start time does not offer.

“I prefer the normal 7:50 start time. As someone who frequents after school activities, I appreciate the early release,” Metken said.

Beresford said if the reaction is positive then CCS is going to move forward with the plan to implement these changes in the 2020-2021 school year. Additionally, the 2019-2020 school year would be used to finalize, adjust and perfect the current plan.  By Misha Rekhter

http://www1.ccs.k12.in.us/district/home