Academic SuperBowl interdisciplinary captain to represent two subject areas

Sahanaa+Nishkaran%2C+Interdisciplinary+captain+and+sophomore+%28bottom+row%2C+fourth+to+the+right%29+holds+up+two+ribbons.+The+Academic+SuperBowl+team%E2%80%99s+first+invitational+this+year+will+be+hosted+in+the+second+semester.+
Sahanaa Nishkaran, Interdisciplinary captain and sophomore (bottom row, fourth to the right) holds up two ribbons. The Academic SuperBowl team’s first invitational this year will be hosted in the second semester.

Sahanaa Nishkaran, Academic SuperBowl’s interdisciplinary captain and sophomore to represent both the science and math teams this year.

According to staff sponsor James Ziegler, Nishkaran’s interest and knowledge in two subject areas made it suitable for her to be selected as the interdisciplinary captain.

“For our interdisc team, we try to have it consist of people who are ideally in more than one subject area so then we can have all five subject areas covered on our team,” Ziegler said. “Getting the interdisc captain position is already kind of being on two subject area teams because interdisc obviously involves all of the different subject areas.”

Nishkaran said she never intended on becoming captain, but later changed her mind.

“I decided that I was interested in being captain of math or science,” Nishkaran said. “However, I love both subjects equally… I decided to ask Mr. Ziegler if I could be captain of interdisc, and I got the position.”

“For our interdisc team, we try to have it consist of people who are ideally in more than one subject area so then we can have all five subject areas covered on our team,” Ziegler said. “So that’s the one thing of our captain applicants that I’ll look for. Who I think maybe has a good knowledge base in multiple subject areas and who maybe just has an interest in the other subjects that may not be one of the main ones they’re focusing on.”

“I love being captain this year,” Nishkaran said. “Not only do I get to be captain of both math and science, I also get to work with people from the fine arts, English, and social studies subject areas.”