New English, science and social studies department heads chosen for next year

Maureen Borto, English

Borto has spent all eight of her years as a teacher in the English department.

MICHELLE HU / PHOTO

She said she became a teacher because she always got along with kids.

“As I was considering careers, I always remembered that. I love being around them and being able to instruct them,” she said.

According to Borto, the key to balancing being a department head with her teaching duties is prioritizing. “Over eight years, I’ve learned a lot. I think I’ll be able to adapt,” she said.

As department head, her schedule will be busier than it is now; however, if she does give up teaching some classes, she said she is not worried about selecting who would replace her.

“The great thing about teaching English is that all the teachers are certified to teach everything,” she said. “I don’t think we’ll have too many problems with needing teachers to fill in and teach classes.”

Jennifer Marlow, science

MICHELLE HU / PHOTO

Marlow is completing her 10th year of teaching in CHS’s science department. She has taught AP Chemistry for six years, regular chemistry for eight and honors chemistry for two.

Marlow said she has always wanted to teach; she said that in first grade, she wrote down that she wanted to be a teacher when she grew up.

“I had so many great teachers at Milroy and then at Rushville Consolidated High School who took the time not only to teach us the curriculum, but to get to know us as individuals,” she said. “I wanted to make that sort of impact
on teenagers.”

According to Marlow, her favorite part of teaching is the balance between working with teenagers and working with adults.

“Every day is different, and every day, a teacher has an opportunity to make a difference in a student’s life,” she said.

She will be replacing David Dowell who, according to Marlow, was able to get new classes implemented in the science department during his time as department chair. Because of his additions, Marlow said she doesn’t foresee any major changes for science courses next year as the science department head.

Her biggest challenge in this position will be to learn how to balance her time, a challenge she said she is looking forward to.

“The biggest key will be organization and time management,” she said.

Because the responsibilities assigned to the department head are very great, Marlow said she will give some of her classes to other teachers. Her AP Chemistry classes will be handed to another teacher, while her honors classes will be split among three teachers. Marlow said she will continue to teach regular chemistry next year.

Tracy Hadden , social studies

Hadden has been teaching for 12 years, nine of which have been at CHS; she has taught everything from European history to economics, a subject she encountered in her previous job.

MICHELLE HU / PHOTO

“I worked at an investment firm for a year and hated it. I missed learning and education, so I quit and became a  teacher,” she said. “I love being around high school kids and their enthusiasm for learning.”

Replacing Dave Bardos as social studies department head next year, Hadden said the biggest priority for the social studies department will be teacher realignments to change staff numbers according to class sizes.

Although she is the department chair, Hadden said her main priority will always be the kids.

“While I’m in the classroom, my number one, and only, priority is student learning. But during those extra periods, my primary focus  will be supporting other teachers,” she said.

Hadden said she doesn’t know if she will give any of her classes to other teachers, but she said she will continue to teach European history and International Baccalaureate next year. Compiled by Grayson Harbour