CHTV under new management

SPEAK UP: CHTV director Erin Thorpe comments on the new CHTV floor plan presented by an interior design class on Sept. 15. Thorpe previously worked in the media center for the past two years.

According to Erin Thorpe, the new director, station manager and instructor of CHTV who took over after Hal Espy retired last year, she already has plans to change and improve the station.

“I’ve always had a passion for film making, ever since I was little,” Thorpe said.

Thorpe, who has worked in the media center for the past two years, said she would often help students there with small filming projects. Now, Thorpe said, her favorite part about running CHTV is working with the students.

“It’s been cool to show them new things and it’s fun to get them excited for new projects,” Thorpe said.

Thorpe said she is planning to change the general look of CHTV by adding intros, closings and graphics, and the studio will be redesigned. Jill Birk’s Interior Design class will work with students at CHTV to create a new set.

Katie Lemen, sophomore and telecommunications student, said that if she could change anything about CHTV, it would be the studio.

“The set is really outdated,” Lemen said.

CHTV will cover all varsity sports, convocations, performing arts and other major school activities. They are always working on morning announcements. The announcement policies have changed, but information about them is posted outside the CHTV studio, Room C141.

Click HERE to read a story about the new CHTV floor plan.

CHTV has also incorporated social media into their coverage and now has a Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube account.

“We do a lot of work outside of school covering major events,” said Lemen, “We put lots of time and effort in our work.”