Senate recognizing Custodial Appreciation Week, blood drive

The Senate is celebrating Custodial Appreciation Week and preparing for the blood drive on Sept. 23.

“A lot of things that take a lot of work but are easy to overlook are the custodian’s doing,” student body president Terrance Lewis said. According to Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz, the students in Senate will spend this week hanging up signs and bringing in cookies for the custodians.

“As student government, we do that to represent the school and show that we care about what (the custodians) do on a daily basis,” Foutz said.

One example of this daily work would be the 60 tables requested for the blood drive on Sept. 23. According to Foutz, the Indiana Blood Center, the greatest blood contributor for Riley Children’s Hospital, coordinates for this blood to go to local hospitals.

“Sometimes if they have some left over, it goes to American Red Cross,” Foutz said. Although sign-ups ended a few weeks ago, students will be giving blood throughout the day.

“Everyone who donates blood in spite of a fear of needles is a hero because they’re saving lives,” Lewis said.