First choir concert on Sept. 27

Members of Blue and Gold Company rehearse for their first concert. “In Concert” will be on Sept. 27 in the auditorium. GAVIN COLAVITO / PHOTO

The choirs will perform at their fall concert,“In Concert,” on Sept. 27, not Sept. 28, due to Rosh Hashanah, according to choir director Diana Gillespie. Starting at 7:30 p.m., this 90-minute concert will be in the auditorium and costs $5 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens. Students must show their student IDs.

“We ask that the audience stays for the entire concert,” Gillespie said. “Sometimes people leave after they see their child perform and it’s just kind of disruptive.”

Every choir will be performing, and they will perform at least two songs, one dance number and one ballad, Gillespie said. According to her, these songs will range from a wide variety of styles, genres and dances.

“There should be something for everyone,” Gillespie said. “The directors are anxious to show off the talent of the choral department.”

Aside from practice in choir classes, some choirs have gathered outside of class before and after school and during SRT to rehearse their performances, Gillespie said.

Briana Midkiff, Blue and Gold Company dance captain and senior, said she helped gather students for some extra practice, especially working on the dance routines.

“I really stress that practicing the dance at home and in a small group of people really helps. It takes repetition to get all the dance moves down,” Midkiff said via email.

According to Gillespie, “Pretty much everybody this year is enthusiastic about what they’re doing. That’s what makes them so fun to work with because nobody is taking it just for the credit. They all really want to be here and that makes it a joy for us.”