Student Venture to host SV Barn Party Oct. 28

Greg Clevenger, Kevin O’Conner and Doug Alexander, Student Venture members and juniors, pass out free bagels to CHS students during the club’s meeting on Oct. 18. According to Kate Shanklin, S.A.L.T. member and senior, 10 students and two adult chaperones recently returned from a prayer conference in Houston. Shanklin said, “There were fantastic speakers and discussions on what we can do at our individual campuses.” NATALIE MAIER / PHOTO
Student Action LeadershipTeam(S.A.L.T.) members will host the SV Barn Party on Oct. 28. The event is open to Student Venture members from CHS and the middle schools. At the party, members can expect to participate in bonfires and hayrides.

“This is a great opportunity for students to invite there friends to a Student Venture event,” Kate Shanklin, S.A.L.T. member and senior, said.

According to Shanklin, middle school members of the club will be the focus of the party from 5 to 8:30 p.m., and during this time the high school members will volunteer. However, CHS members will be able to attend the event themselves from 9 to 11:30 p.m.

At the party, a student will talk to the crowd about how the Christian faith influenced his life. This is a normal occurrence at Student Venture’s weekly meetings, which happen Tuesday mornings in the Freshman Center cafeteria.

Student Venture members recently returned from a national prayer conference in Houston. According to Shanklin, 10 members attended, along with two adult chaperones. According to sponsor Brian Clark, one of the adults who chaperoned the trip, there were around 400 other students from about 15 other cities in attendance at the conference.

“We stayed at other families’ homes there and learned about how to bring a prayer movement back to school,” Clark said via email.

Shanklin said that she thinks the prayer conference went well, and that Student Venture at CHS plans to bring back the idea of prayer triplets. This means that a group of three students will meet on a weekly basis to pray for different areas of the school.

Shanklin said, “This will be a hard task to accomplish since Carmel is so big, but we plan to approach it prayerfully.”