Muslim Student Association to celebrate Eid ul-Adha Nov. 6

On Nov. 6 the Muslims students at Carmel High School will be celebrating Eid ul-Adha along with the rest of the Islamic faith. During this holiday millions of Muslims make their pilgrimage to Mecca and commemorate the prophet Ibrahim. During this holiday, Muslim families slaughter a goat or a cow and give one-third to the poor, one-third to friends and one-third for the family.

Eid ul-Adha is normally a three-day holiday, but Fariha Hossain, vice president of the Muslim Student Association and junior, said, “In the United States, you only celebrate one day because it’s sort of difficult to take all that time off of school or work.”

Member and freshman Yara Khalifa “My family back home (sacrifices a goat or a cow), and then they give it to the less fortunate.”
The Muslim Student Association will continue to meet every Blue Thursday in Room A232, club sponsor Dora Mulcahy’s room. Mulcahy is not Muslim and has not heard about Eid ul-Adha, but she said thinks highly of this group of Muslim students.

Mulcahy said, “The students take this club seriously and are ready to voice their opinion. They are intelligent and resourceful. It seems they enjoy and agree how important it is to be involved.”