Kids’ Corner preschoolers end semester Nov. 28

The Kids’ Corner preschoolers will have their last classes of the semester the week of Nov. 28, according to Kids’ Corner teacher Kimberly Lenzo.

The Kids’ Corner program allows seniors to have the chance to teach a preschool class.

Hannah Elliott, Kids’ Corner member and senior, said she has enjoyed having the hands on experience and seeing how the kids have progressed since the first day of class. She said she is one of the head teachers for the last week, which is circus themed, and is excited but sad that the year has come to an end already.

Lenzo said, “I think the seniors have enjoyed making connections with the kids and have realized that teaching a room of kids is difficult but not impossible.”

Elliott said the seniors are now working on their portfolios, which are basically their final exams for the class. They are graded on their lesson plans and have to choose their best ones to turn in.

According to Lenzo, the seniors still have a little work to do until the end of the semester, but next semester will bring a new group of seniors to the same class of preschoolers. She said that like last year, the majority of the kids and seniors are sad to say goodbye, but that it’s a good learning experience for everyone.

“Next semester we have 25 seniors compared to this semester’s 20,” Lenzo said. “It will be tough with so many, but we’re working out a partnership with Educare programs at some of the middle schools. Hopefully this will give both seniors and kids the attention they need.”

Lenzo said  the preschooler’s second semester will start February of 2012.