Student Venture plans ‘Fast for Fastbreak’

Jordan Larson, Student Venture member and senior, passes out flyers for Student Venture’s “Celebrate Christmas Snowball Dance” during lunches on Nov. 29. Kate Shanklin, S.A.L.T. member and senior, said, “It’s not quite a dance, just more of a regular meeting with some fun Christmas music.” NATALIE MAIER / PHOTO

On Jan. 7, Student Venture members will participate in “Fast for Fastbreak.” According to Kate Shanklin, Student Action Leadership Team (S.A.L.T.) member and senior, club members will fast for an upcoming Student Venture retreat.

“We will start the fast around dinner time the night before and spend most of the following day together in prayer and worship,” Shanklin said.

Shanklin said the fast only lasts for one day, which the club will accompany with prayers.

She said, “We always conclude our fast event with a feast. This is our second year fasting before the retreat, and we did the feast the first year, too.”

According to Student Venture sponsor Brian Clark, this leads up to Student Venture’s upcoming retreat called “Fastbreak Winter Conference 2012.”

Clark said the conference will take place on the weekend of Jan. 13 in Cincinnati.

“The retreat is $250 as a total, which includes transportation to Cincinnati, lodging, food, service opportunities, speakers, live music and an awesome time,” Clark said via email.

Shanklin said that because of the proximity of winter break and finals week, Student Venture does not have many upcoming events planned.

According to Clark, the last event of the semester is the “Celebrate Christmas Snowball Dance,” which took place on Dec. 5 in the Freshman Center cafeteria from 6:30 to 8 p.m.

Shanklin said, “It’s not quite a dance, just more of a regular meeting with some fun Christmas music.”

Recently, Student Venture began meeting on Monday nights instead of Tuesday mornings. According to Shanklin, on Tuesday mornings club members now participate in activities that aim to make this school a better place. Shanklin said this change gives the club more time for its weekly meetings.

Shanklin said, “The change is going well. I think that students especially enjoy the mornings of service. Hopefully we get more students at our evening meetings on Monday nights though.”