Student Venture to play ‘broomball’ on Jan. 28

Student Venture leader Carolyn Wiley passes out surveys to junior Kevin Krauter and sophomore Tyler Meinz during the Jan. 10 meeting. According to Kate Shanklin, S.A.L.T. member and senior, the survey was about how students incorporated their faith into New Year’s resolutions.
On Jan. 28, Student Venture members will meet at the Carmel Ice Skadium at 5 p.m. to have a “broomball” tournament. According to Kate Shanklin, Student Action Leadership Team (S.A.L.T.) member and senior, this is an outreach event that will include members from this school and other Student Venture members from across Hamilton County.

Shanklin said, “Broomball is basically just hockey, but we wear tennis shoes on the ice, use brooms for sticks and soccer balls for pucks.”

According to Shanklin, participants can meet first at a Student Venture leader’s house and share their testimony.
She said, “It should be fun to meet with students from Fishers and other local schools and just get together.”
On Jan. 16, Student Venture members returned from their annual winter retreat, the “Fastbreak Winter Conference 2012.” The conference took place in the Cincinatti area at the AIA Conference Center, according to the Student Venture website.
According to Student Venture sponsor Brian Clark, about 60 members from this school attended, but around 200 members from the Indianapolis area went to the retreat.
Clark said via email, “Fastbreak is a retreat that has awesome speakers, a worship band and outreach opportunities for the surrounding cities. It’s always been a good time.”
According to Shanklin, members who went on the retreat took boxes of food to houses in impoverished areas for outreach.
Student Venture recently changed the club’s meeting schedule. Now, the first meeting of every month is called “Student Venture After Hours,” which takes place on Monday nights instead of Tuesday mornings. Shanklin said the following Tuesday morning’s meeting is used for service.
Shanklin said, “We will continue to use this meeting schedule. It’s really nice to have a longer meeting, and everyone thinks it provides a great opportunity to serve the school.”