Student Venture plans charity dodgeball tournament

Students socialize during the March 13 Student Venture meeting. According to sponsor Brian Clark, at the March 20 meeting the club will discuss how God is greater than future circumstances. NATALIE MAIER / PHOTO

On April 20, Student Venture will host the Knockout Homelessness Dodgeball Tournament. According to sponsor Brian Clark, there are typically 20 to 30 teams, with about 7 to 10 people who play on each team.

“The cost is close to $3 per person, or you can pay in canned goods. All the money we earn will go to a Marion Country homeless shelter,” Clark said.

According to Kathryn “Kate” Shanklin, Student Action Leadership Team (S.A.L.T.) member and senior, Student Venture leaders are still in the planning process for the event and they do not know many details.

Shanklin said, “We don’t have all the details for the event yet, but we do know it will take place in the fieldhouse.”

Shanklin said this event raises money and collects canned goods for a different organization each year. The organizations are local and focus on helping the community.

Carmel Idol, another event that Student Venture plans, took place on March 8 in the Dale E. Graham Auditorium. According to Clark, almost 700 people attended the event, which raised money for Invisible Children’s “Kony 2012” campaign.

Clark said, “We highlighted the Invisible Children club and the ‘Kony 2012’ video. We rasied enough money to donate $1000 to the club.”

Shanklin said that the event, which featured speeches by seniors Rachel Aker and Brandon Denning, went well.

“The judges had a lot of good things to say (about the performers) and I think a lot of people could identify with what Rachel and Brandon were speaking about,” Shanklin said.

Student Venture continues to meet every Tuesday at 7 a.m. in the Freshman Center cafeteria. According to Clark, the March 20 meeting will focus on how God is greater than the future’s circumstances.

Clark said, “At the last meeting we talked about how God is greater than our present circumstances. We live in Carmel, we have it better than 99 percent of the world, but we’re always looking at the negatives.”