CHTV show wins second place in IASB competition

The CHTV superintendent show “Carmel Clay Connections” earned second place in the Indiana Association of School Broadcasters’ (IASB) competition. On March 12, CHTV students traveled via charter bus to the University of Indianapolis to attend the awards ceremony and learn new skills for broadcasting.

CHTV supervisor Erin Thorpe said, “It was awesome for Katie Pittman and Dillon Welch (“Carmel Clay Connections” hosts), and I can tell you that the superintendent himself was ecstatic as well.”

All students in the advanced and intermediate levels of CHTV were allowed to go on the trip. Some beginning level students came as well. Students who attended but did not enter videos in the competition were still able to participate in workshops.

After the competition, CHTV went back to business as usual. The beginning level classes just finished up their viral videos.

“It’s basically a video to pop on to YouTube that’s one to two minutes long,” Thorpe said. “The nice thing about these is that they had full creative scope.”

The beginning class has moved on to another project where they will recreate some of their favorite movies. “We just watched the movie ‘Be Kind, Rewind’ and that’s about two guys who accidentally erase all the video footage they have on VHS in their movie rental store so they recreate all the movies,” Spencer Pendergrass, beginning level CHTV student said. “I’m really looking forward to this project, I think it will be a lot of fun and we’ll get to be really creative.”

The intermediate level just finished their last video announcements before spring break on Monday and is now working on news packages to put together a full news broadcast. The advanced students are working on their regular monthly shows that they do with the principal, superintendent, and other members of society.