Orchestra preparing for ISSMA competition after California trip

Brandon Xu, orchestra member and sophomore, practices for the ISSMA state competition. According to Xu, the California trip was a good opportunity to practice the pieces for the upcoming ISSMA competition. RYAN ZUKERMAN / PHOTO

The orchestra just returned from a trip to California over spring break. According to violinist and junior Kavya Sankhavaram, 110 people went on the trip, which provided the orchestra an opportunity to practice its competition pieces.

“We had a performance with two high schools there that went a lot better than any of us expected,” she said, “Because it was the pieces we are playing for ISSMA and we haven’t fully prepared for them. We also did a workshop at Disney workshop where we performed to Disney animation and we also did a workshop with a conductor from USC.”

The orchestra is now continuing its preparation for the Indiana State School Music Association (ISSMA) state competition.

According to Sankhavaram, the 2012 ISSMA Concert Band State Finals competition is May 5. Additionally, according to associate orchestra director James Woomert, the orchestra has begun preparing for its spring concert, which will be May 10.
View Comments (1)
$20
$500

• C

California PsychiatristApr 24, 2012 at 6:10 am

I have fun with, lead to I found exactly what I was looking for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

Reply