Muslim Student Association begins bake sale, upcoming food festival finalized

Muslim Student Association member Nida Khan participates in the bake sale, selling items and collecting money in the Freshman Cafeteria. Members of the Muslim Student Association are conducting a bake sale to support victims of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad’s recent, brutal crackdown on political protest. ALEX YU / PHOTO

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) began its bake sale on April 23, and the fundraiser will continue until April 27. Members will be selling items of both American and Islamic origin.

Fariha Hossain, club president and junior, said, “The planning has been going pretty good. We have some really great people at our school.”

Members who are participating in the fundraiser to support Syria will be working all lunch periods on Blue and Gold days outside the Main Cafeteria during the event as well as all lunch periods on Gold days in the Freshman Cafeteria. According to Hossain, members may also be selling items in the Greyhound Station Cafeteria.

Member and freshman Yara Khalifa said, “MSA is simply doing its part to help out our brothers and sisters in Syria.”

Members of the Muslim Student Association will also be part of an international foods festival. Sri Lankan Awareness Program is sponsoring the event, which will be after school on April 24.

Members of the MSA continue meeting on Blue Thursdays after school in club sponsor Dora Mulcahy’s room, Room A233. Mulcahy said, “The members enjoy and agree how important it is to be involved.”