Jen Bubp takes on new role as chair of art department

Recently promoted to art department chair, Jen Bubp has been teaching art classes such as Art History and Painting at CHS for the last seven years.

“I wanted this position because I am passionate about art and people. I genuinely love the people I work with in the art department. I look forward to serving my colleagues to the best of my ability,” Bubp said via e-mail.

With her new position, Bubp now has additional responsibilities including conducting evaluations, attending department chair meetings, leading art department meetings and chaperoning school events. Additionally, changes are being made for students this year. Bubp is working on a big project with the Art Club, a service oriented outreach club that will focus on community events and a large arts garden project.

“I am most looking forward to creating the arts garden at CHS. It is going to be amazing. We will have events surrounding this project throughout this school year … We are hoping to create a beautiful, serene outdoor classroom setting for CHS, including art and perennials. The courtyard is located in the Freshman Center behind the art room.”

New standards have also been put in place last spring in order to increase rigor in the art classes. The updated curriculum involves new visual art standards that involve reading and writing. Students can view the CHS art deparment wbsite and see a list of faculty and a gallery of student artwork at http://www1.ccs.k12.in.us/chs/art.

“I think reading and writing standards for art classes would be very beneficial when learning about art history,” said junior Shan Khan.