Sophomore Class prepares for Homecoming t-shirt sale, annual 5K canceled

Sophomore William Billy Nasser submits a suggestion for a Homecoming spirit day. Sophomores will be participating in Homecoming spirit days as well as the new Homecoming t-shirt sale, the event that will replace the traditional Homecoming 5K. JULIE XU/ PHOTO
Sophomore William “Billy” Nasser submits a suggestion for a Homecoming spirit day. Sophomores will be participating in Homecoming spirit days as well as the new Homecoming t-shirt sale, the event that will replace the traditional Homecoming 5K. JULIE XU/ PHOTO

The Sophomore Class is preparing for Homecoming week, scheduled to begin Sept. 17, according to class sponsor Ann Mayhew. The class officers are preparing for the new Homecoming t-shirt sale, a new event that will replace the traditional Homecoming 5K. The 5K was cancelled due to a scheduling conflict with the Tour De Carmel, an annual bike race held in the city.

The new Homecoming t-shirts will be sold for $5 each and will be available to students in all classes. There will be a competition to see which class sells the most shirts, replacing the usual competition to see which class has the most 5K sign-ups. According to Mayhew, the money raised by each class will be given to each class’s respective charity. The sophomore class will raise money for Promising Futures of Central Indiana, an organization in Noblesville that functions as both a school and a daycare center for teenage parents.

According to Sophomore Class president Robert “Bobby” Greaser, the sophomore class is also preparing for other Homecoming activities such as dress-up spirit days, playhouse building, hall decorating, penny wars and trike races.

Greaser said he is enthusiastic for the activities of the upcoming year and the new opportunities that come with becoming sophomores.

“As the Sophomore Class, you get more responsibility,” Greaser said. “You’re not the youngest anymore, and you get to take a stronger role.”

Mayhew said she has confidence for the Sophomore Class in their new role of responsibility.

“I was very pleased with them last year, and I’m pleased with them so far,” Mayhew said. “I just hope its a good year.”