Academic Superbowl Call-Out Meeting to Take Place Mid-September

Two students ask Mr. Dillion about Academic Superbowl after school. Students interested can pick up an application in Dillon’s room, E225. HALEY BRACKEN / PHOTO

Head coach Matt Dillon and assistant coach James Ziegler will host the first call-out meeting for the 2012-2013 Academic Superbowl team in mid-September. The club is open to all grades, and does not require a prerequisite.
Academic Superbowl, according to Dillon, is a strictly academic-based club, for students who are interested in pursuing and displaying an increased knowledge in the history of the world. The responsibility of the students in this club is to gather information for the state competition, which is based on an assigned theme and time frame. This year’s theme is Ancient Greece.

Though the club is open to all grades, Dillon said he is looking for specific characteristics in his applicants.
“I am looking for people with good organizational skills, who are privately and personally motivated and can come and contribute towards the club. If you’re here to just screw around, this is not the club for you. There are other clubs. This is more of a strenuous, studious club,” Dillon said.
The primary goal of Academic Superbowl is to prepare students for a competition at Purdue in the beginning of May. At the competition, students will put their knowledge to the test by competing against fellow regional high schools. Rushvi Desai, former science captain and senior, recognizes the importance of representing CHS well in the state competition.
“First of all, going to State is prestigious, just as it is in any other academic competition or sport,” Desai said. “But, there’s nothing wrong with bringing another trophy back to Carmel either.”
Members of the club are split into five subject squads. Each team, as well as its designated captain, will focus on a different aspect of Ancient Greece. The five subject squads are fine arts, social studies, mathematics, science and English.
While all students are responsible for thoroughly learning the material, the captain is responsible for organizing squad meetings and distributing material. Students have the option to meet at the Carmel Clay Public Library (CCPL), in Dillon’s room or at any other relative location. Ideally, Dillon said he wants to foster an enjoyable environment for his students in which they can continue to learn the material.
“When it comes down to it, we are facilitators,”  Dillon said. “We try not, unless specifically asked, to teach them the information. That makes us a lot different than other schools. A lot of schools hire other teachers to teach each of the subject squads. I believe that since this is a volunteer-type club, and I want the kids to have ownership of it and have a good time, it is their responsibility to learn the information. But, we try to facilitate as much as possible. We provide guidance, a place to study and materials necessary. And we drive the bus, which is awesome.”