Rotary Interact Club to host water balloon fight on Sept. 29

Rotary Interact Club will host a water balloon fight on Sept. 29 from 1 to 3 p.m. to try to get more students to join the club.  In addition, Rotary Interact Club has moved its meetings from Blue Tuesdays after school to Gold Wednesdays after school so that it does not conflict with National Honor Society meetings.

Many of the club members last year were seniors, so there is now a shortage of club members. Debbie Lesjak, Rotary Interact Club sponsor, says that the club is trying to make up for the seniors that graduated last year. “We are in a building phase,” she said. “Last year we had probably 80 percent of our club graduate, so we are currently building and trying to get new members. We are really focusing on freshmen and sophomores so that they can continue to help our club.”

Madeline Moran, Rotary Interact Club president and junior, said that this year, the club will focus on getting more members and planning projects. “We don’t have to do so much fundraising this year, and we can just do projects,” she said. “We have over $2000 that we made from snow cone stands and bakes sales. We don’t need money so much as we need members.”

In addition, Moran says that the club will be interacting with some other clubs in order to potentially gain more members. “We are hooking up with Ping Pong Club. They will be having a ping pong tournament, so we will go there with food and tell people about our club,” Moran said.

Lesjak said that it is not too late for students to join Rotary Interact Club. “We are still allowing students to join the club and are really encouraging them to join,” she said.