Freshman Class fundraiser raises more than last year’s

According to Mark Wien, Freshman Class fundraising sponsor, the Freshman Class raised a combined total between $18,000 to $19,000 from Greyhound Kickoff and the donation fundraiser proceeds. Wien said the proceeds were an improvement from last year’s Freshman Class, which raised $5,000 to $6,000.

“The results are certainly better than what we made last year,” Wien said, “but I think there are a couple of things we’re going to do to refine the process to have an even better turnout… probably fewer than half the kids participated.”

Freshman Class president Sam Pittman also commented on the lack of participation. “I think more people should have turned in money,” Pittman said, “and the word wasn’t really spread about the fundraiser. I think next time, teachers should tell their students about it more.”

Wien also has plans for future fundraisers. “Next time, we’ll send an e-mail out to the parents…with a direct link where they can donate the money immediately through a particular website,” he said. “This basically takes out the parent trying to give the money to the kid and the kid trying to get the money to SRT… If we eliminate that middle step I think we’ll have better results.”