PowerSchool app increases live access to grades, school information

A new app, called the PowerSchool app, much like myCCS, created by Pearson Education Incorporation in January of 2012, allows both students and parents to see grades and other important education information in real-time on any Apple or Android product for free.

According to registrar Maria Pacalo, the app updates quicker than myCCS, and is similar to the PowerSchool program that all teachers use to organize grades.

“(The PowerSchool app) looks like it’s the same thing (as PowerSchool), except you only see your (information), you can’t see anyone else’s. You’re looking at the same thing I’m looking at, so that’s always a good thing,” Pacalo said.

While the app is very similar to myCCS, it updates in real-time, meaning that when a teacher enters in a grade, it will show up on the app almost instantaneously. However, myCCS requires 24 hours for grades to appear on a student’s account. For this reason, the app has become very popular among CHS students.

The app, much like myCCS, shows students their assignments and scores and quarter, semester and final grades. It also allows students to see their schedule, attendance, school announcements, GPA and lunch transactions and balances. Students can sign on to the app using their school username and password.

Sophomore Kristin Fortier, who said she heard about the app on Twitter, downloaded it over winter break to see her final grades, which she said were not on myCCS. Fortier said since she got the app, she has not used myCCS.

“I prefer the PowerSchool app because it’s right on your phone and you can just click on it and find you grades really easily,” she said.

Pacalo, who said she finds the app very useful, said it’s a great way not only for students, but for parent to see their children’s grades.

“It’s always good to keep up on grades,” Pacalo said. “I think it’s always important to monitor your (children’s) grades so you’re not surprised.”

According to Pacalo, while the app may be gaining in popularity, CHS will not likely remove myCCS, seeing as not all students have iPhones. However, Fortier said myCCS will likely become an unpopular method of checking grades.

Pacalo said, “Since most kids at Carmel have an iPhone, I think that not many are going to be using myCCS anymore.”