Academic Superbowl prepares for March 7 Brebeuf Competition

At a recent team meeting, Dillon instructs his students on the importance of understanding the material and effectively preparing for the upcoming competition. According to Dillon, the next few weeks will host many opportunities for students to carefully review the subject material, as the first Invitational period is not scheduled to take place until early March. / HALEY BRACKEN

With the second semester fully underway, the 2012-2013 Academic Superbowl subject squads are “moving full-throttle” towards the first competition, according to club sponsor Matt Dillon. The respective subject teams will get their first opportunity to test their collective knowledge at Brebeuf on March 7. In the meantime, participants will continue along the process of gathering and reviewing information.

“At this particular point, every group is meeting once a week in order to prepare. Every last one,” Dillon said. Dillon recommends that students continue mulling through the information, but insists that the material should be split up into “digestible” pieces.

Recently, the team captains, along with their respective teams, met with Dillon and reviewed some of the source material and developed a general plan for the competition. According to Katie Doman, participant and sophomore, she had already made an effort to divide the work into comprehensible pieces.

“I think the captains are doing a great job of divvying up the information so far, but right now we’re just in the process of making sure we’ve got the material down. I’ve sectioned my material off into little pieces, so I don’t have to take in too much at one time,” Doman said. In addition, Doman said that she is “both apprehensive and excited” to see her hard work put to the test.

Similarly, Dillon said, “As a team, I think we’re all getting excited for the upcoming competitions; we’re ready to test our skill. It’s always interesting to see how you do. You never quite know what’s going to happen until you get there. I just hope our kids live up to the expectations they have placed upon themselves.”