AVID to host party for incoming freshmen

AVID is scheduled to have a welcome-dinner party towards the end of April for eighth-grade students coming into the program next year, according to AVID site coordinator Shannon Woodson. AVID GKOMs and senior leaders are expected to help lead the event, which has been tentatively scheduled on an evening after school.

AVID senior leader Meredith Missler said the event will help bring the incoming middle-school students into the program, as well as familiarize the students with the new hierarchy within AVID.

“It’s something that we really want to do because it will influence the family aspect and make us a lot more closer knit,” Missler said.

Woodson said she expects the number of eighth graders who will come to the event to be around 75 to 90, although she added that this event is intended to help gauge the number of incoming students who have accepted the AVID invitation to join the program.

“We are just now finishing up identifying the students we extended an invitation to join the program,” Woodson said. “We’re finalizing that list, and then I will get with my students and figure out what they intend to do to welcome the kids.”