Senate announces start to annual Brain Game competition

Student body president Chris Johnson (left) sits in on a Dance Marathon planning meeting. Although the Senate is not explicitly in charge of Dance Marathon, Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz said many senators have been supporting this event. MELINDA SONG / PHOTO

On Feb. 26, the first round of the Senate-sponsored, school-wide Brain Game tournament will occur. According to Senate sponsor Michelle Foutz, this event has been a CHS tradition for at least 20 years.

The tournament consists of seven rounds and one final competition. Foutz said the Senate has divided all participating SRTs into four categories based on grade level. Mixed SRTs, which consist of students from multiple grade levels, are categorized based on the majority of people in that particular SRT. From there, Senate devises a single-round elimination bracket. For each round, the home SRT teacher serves as the proctor, and four students compete on behalf of each SRT.

“We go through that process until we get to the last freshman, sophomore, junior or senior SRT, and then they compete against another grade,” Foutz said. “Once we’re down to the two final grades, the last competition will take place on video announcements. CHTV helps us coordinate that.”

According to student body president Chris Johnson, the Senate comes up with all questions in the tournament. There are 25 questions per competition, and 50 questions in the final round.

“Every time (a Senator) comes in, we ask them to make just two questions, and then every SRT that adds up to enough for the whole tournament.”

Personally, Johnson said his favorite type of question covers history.

“I like history,” he said. “A lot of people don’t know that, so that’s where I come in, clutch, because that’s my strong point. So that’s my favorite. (It) makes it fun.”

Johnson said he would advise students to get involved in this fast-paced trivia competition.

“Just volunteer for your SRT’s team because the only way (the competition) works is if people step up and have fun with it,” he said.

According to Foutz, the four students who represent each SRT in this competition can change from round to round but not within rounds. For an added incentive to participate, Foutz said the winning SRT receives a free pizza party.