Science squad wins State Championship; Preparations being made for next year

At the 2012-2013 Indiana Academic Superbowl State competition, the science subject squad earned the State Championship title, answering an astounding 23 of 25 questions correctly. One of seventeen competitors, the all-female science squad worked diligently to represent this school as best as possible, according to club sponsor Matt Dillon.

Dillon, humming a victorious tune, proudly boasts the science squad’s 20120-2013 championship banner and plaque.  Concerning the all-female squad’s victory, Dillon said, “I don’t think it was much of a surprise, knowing the girls on the term and how prepared they were.”
Dillon, humming a victorious tune, proudly boasts the science squad’s 2012-2013 championship banner and plaque. Concerning the all-female squad’s victory, Dillon said, “I don’t think it was much of a surprise, knowing the girls on the term and how prepared they were.”

“It’s a great thing for Carmel High School. It’s recognizing the hard work that these girls have done. It’s not surprising to me, knowing the four girls who were on the team and how bright and how hardworking they are. They were prepared. They went in in the best position they could be to succeed, and it paid off,” Dillon said.

While Dillon noted that the science squad was extremely prepared for the competition, the event ended in what he titled a “dramatic finish.” While the four members of the science team effectively dominated the majority of the competition, they missed a crucial near-penultimate question, allowing another competitor team to succeed them in the scores and assume first place position. According to Dillon, with only two questions remaining in the competition, tensions were mounting and “stakes were high.”

“On question 23, they missed that, and another team went in first place. On the very last question, they guessed on it. Complete guess; they had no idea what the answer was. And you know what? They guessed correctly. The other team missed it, and they won,” Dillon said.

According to Rushvi Desai, science squad captain and senior, this victory was the combination of weeks of dedication and intense preparation.

“We’d been preparing for months for this competition, and we collectively feel like it really paid off. We’re definitely glad to be bringing another trophy back to Carmel,” Desai said. Additionally, she added, “I only hope next year’s science squad will carry on our legacy.”

Although the 2012-2013 Academic Superbowl season has officially ended, Dillon said he is already looking forward to next year and hopes to find students that are equally as diligent and prepared as this years’ victors.

“I think, as it’s been shown time and time again – what we need is the same, consistent kind of people who are passionate about this, who are interested in this, and want to have a good time, and who are willing to put a little effort forth to represent Carmel High School and themselves,” Dillon said, before adding, “That, and experts in Greece, is what we need; because next year we’re going to Greece!”

For additional competition results, visit: http://www.iasp.org/index.php/student-programs/academic-competitions/compresults/