Counseling center to have events on preparation for college, PSAT

Head of admissions for the Midwest at Vanderbilt University talks to students about what the university has to offer. Other college visits are scheduled to take place throughout the school year. REIBOLD / PHOTO

The counseling center has several events planned to help students prepare for college and the PSAT test, which is scheduled for all juniors and sophomores on Oct. 16. These events include a common app workshop, College Information Night and a PSAT prep course, according to secretary Julie VanBuren.

The common app workshop will be led by counselor Linda Christy on Sept. 18 and Oct. 9 during late start from 7:45 to 8:30. At the workshop, seniors will log into the common application and college and career resource staff will help answer any questions they have.

“Purdue University made the decision to adopt the common application this year. We have hundreds of our students apply to Purdue and felt there would be the need for additional support for these students,” Christy said via email.

College Information Night will take place on Sept. 25 and Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. Both parents and students are welcome to come to one of these sessions as the two cover the same material. The meeting will discuss GPA requirements for Indiana colleges, scheduling college visits, the college selection process, choosing a major, admission types and financial aid.

Senior Katie Smith said she went to the information night last year.

“It laid out a lot of really good information especially about schools in Indiana,” Smith said. “I found it to be very helpful and a good resource.”

Students can also learn more about colleges by going to college visits here at CHS. Scheduled visits can be seen on the bulletin board in senior hallway opposite of the activities office or online.  If students would like to go to a meeting, they must obtain a pass from either VanBuren or secretary Pat Barker.

“It’s a great chance to meet face to face with the admissions rep that will be reviewing the applications,” VanBuren said.

“College visits are important because it really shows you what life will be like at college,” Smith said. “It also gives you a lot more information about different programs you’re interested in.”

Lastly, for students who would like to prepare for the PSAT test, a six hour prep course will be offered for $30. Students can pick up a form in the counseling center to register. Registration ends Sept. 23.

VanBuren said, “The prep course offers a lot of helpful test taking tips at a low cost.”