Transportation department to hire bus aides

To prepare for a normal turnover of bus aides, the transportation department is accepting applications for the position of a bus aide, according to Ron Farrand, director of facilities and transportation. Bus aides typically are on special needs buses to help; for example, they help with getting wheelchairs on the bus as well as looking after students while they are on the bus. Occasionally, bus aides are assigned to normal buses to supervise any students that may be causing trouble. In the Carmel Clay Schools transportation department there are 35 special needs buses as well as 12 normal school buses with bus aides.

“Usually there are some particular needs for the special needs students, and the driver, obviously, is busy driving the bus, so we often need another adult to attend to any of those needs that might occur while the bus is in operation,” Farrand said.

Those looking to apply for the job must first fill out an online application, and then go through the screening process. There will then be an interview, and anybody selected for potential hiring then will go through the human resources department to review policies pertaining to students. After the training process, the employee is then assigned to a bus or is used as a substitute bus aide.

Caleb He, frequent bus rider and freshman, believes the bus aides have an important job. He said, “I think they are good people who deserve higher pay for the great job that they do and the help that they provide.”