Senate members plan Bus Driver Appreciation Week and winter dance

Senate members listen to student body president George Gemelas at a meeting during SRT. According to Gemelas, a committee of Senate members is brainstorming new ideas for the winter dance on Jan. 24.

During the week of Oct. 21, Senate members will put up posters and make announcements in appreciation of the school’s bus drivers. They will also give out gift bags of cookies to each bus driver, Foutz said.

Senate members are also planning for the winter dance, student body president George Gemelas said. They want to finish organizing this event during October so they can focus on Care to Share in November, he said.

According to Foutz, the event will take place after a basketball game on Jan. 24 from 8 to 11 p.m. In previous years, this event was the Neon Dance, but Senate members are brainstorming new themes, Foutz said.

“(The Senate members) just didn’t feel like people were very receptive to the Neon Dance,” Foutz said.

(Click here to see a Senate-organized flash mob promoting the 2012 Neon Dance).

Gemelas said one of the most popular theme ideas was the “Gatsby party,” based on the 1925 novel The Great Gatsby. According to Gemelas, the variation from a “dance” to a “party” is largely a name change, and the event’s structure will be similar.

Senate members still have to finalize the new theme and administrators have yet to approve it, Gemelas said. So all plans are subject to change.

“Nothing is official,” Gemelas said.