Computer system in the fitness center awaits construction

Before practicing for cross-country, junior Matt Bear enters the fitness room. Unlike the old weight room, the new fitness center also features an indoor track and cardio machines, allowing students like Bear to work on other things besides lifting weights. MICHAEL ZHAO / PHOTO

Though the construction for the fitness center has completed, some internal additions such as a computer system have yet to be added.

According to Assistant Principal Joseph Schaller, the fitness center will feature new technology, such as a computer system, allowing both coaches and students to evaluate their training much more accurately.

“We’re still looking to get some sort of computer system that will help allow students, when they’re finished with their workouts, to check their progress,” he said. “When the students are done, they can just punch (their results) into the computers and the results go directly to the teacher.”

According to Diana Gorin, cross-country runner and junior, the new technology in the fitness center will prove beneficial in helping athletes like herself improve.

“Every Wednesday the cross-country team uses (the fitness center) for upper body strength,” she said. “A computer system that could measure my performance would definitely help a lot.”

“It will be worth the wait,” she added.

For more on the fitness room, click here