Academic Decathlon team continues to study for Regional competition

Academic Decathlon members continue to study for the Regional competition

on Jan. 18 at Homestead High School. One difference that the team has made from last year is that the team has divided the nine topics of study to members to then teach the rest of the team.

Academic Decathlon sponsor Wendy Gerardot said, “They’re covering 100 pages of content in about 30 minutes; they just talk about the major points of each section.”

Gretchen Gregors, Academic Decathlon member and sophomore, attends a weekly Academic Decathlon meeting. Gregors said she feels most confident in music and science at the upcoming Regional competition. ADZEMA / PHOTO

Gerardot said she believes the team has had a slow start but is confident that the kids have been working hard.

Sophomore Gretchen Gregor said she is behind schedule, but is planning to use winter break to catch up with her studying.

Gregor is one of the team’s new members. She said, “I joined because (Academic Decathlon) sounded interesting to me when I knew other people wouldn’t find it interesting.”