Chemistry Club to prepare for the United States National Chemistry Olympiad

Patrick Tan, Chemistry Club president and senior, guides students and helps them prepare for the United States National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO) national exam. Chemistry Club still offers chemistry help for students, but is focusing mainly on the national exam. JOSEPH LEE / PHOTO

Chemistry Club members are preparing for the United States National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO). According to the American Chemical Society (ACS) website, “approximately 1,000 students sit for the three-part national exam. No more than two students from any given school can compete in the national competition. The 20 top-scoring students are chosen to attend a study camp where they will try to win a spot on the U.S. team.” The national exam will take place from April 22 to 28.

According to Chemistry Club sponsor, Virginia Kundrat, Chemistry Club has prepared for the USNCO since the beginning of the year. However, they are putting more of an emphasis on the exam in the second semester due to proximity of the national exam.

When asked how Chemistry Club was preparing for the national exam, Chemistry Club president and senior Patrick Tan said, “We are having David Liang, who went to the International Chemistry Olympiad last year, come in and lecture about topics that you don’t typically cover in your chemistry class.”