School board to take action regarding transportation funds

Students board the buses after school. The school board will take action regarding a resolution to protect the school’s transportation and capital projects funds. ANDREW WANG / PHOTO

According to school board president Layla Spanenberg, the board held a meeting to discuss the negative impact of House Enrolled Act 1072, which would have affected the district’s transportation fund and capital projects fund.

“If measures are not taken during the upcoming legislative short session, some school districts stand to lose all of their capital projects fund and transportation levy, which may result in the elimination of transportation services,” Spanenberg said.

This could affect students because of the possible loss of transportation, which could cause students to find  alternative methods of transportation.

Senior Erin Libby, who rode the bus for her first three years of high school, said, “This could affect the underclassmen a lot. A lot of students are dependent on the bus system because they don’t have anyone to drive them, so it could be hard for them.”