CHTV improves new segments, discusses live reporting

CHTV sponsor Courtney Qualls works at her desk during fourth period on Feb. 11 in the CHTV room where students plan broadcasts and work on the announcements. “(A new segment) is a little intimidating, so it’s one of those things where I need to get really comfortable with what we’re doing,” Qualls said. “I have to also make sure the students are really comfortable with what they’re doing before we try to add that at all.” NATALIA CHAUDHRY / PHOTO
CHTV sponsor Courtney Qualls works at her desk during fourth period on Feb. 11 in the CHTV room, where students plan broadcasts and work on the announcements. “(A new segment) is a little intimidating, so it’s one of those things where I need to get really comfortable with what we’re doing,” Qualls said. “I have to also make sure the students are really comfortable with what they’re doing before we try to add that at all.” NATALIA CHAUDHRY / PHOTO

According to CHTV sponsor Courtney Qualls, CHTV members will continue to improve the many new segments that have been added to the CHTV morning announcements. Qualls said she recently added the “Minute with Mal” segment to the show.

“It really came from some feedback out in the school,” Qualls said. “A lot of kids had heard people saying that we have a new segment on weather. We have sports, but we don’t really have anything entertainment.”

Once she decided to make a change with the addition of an entertainment segment, Qualls said she selected a student who would be a good fit for the position.

“Mallory Marrs (CHTV member and junior) has always been really interested, and she expressed her interest at the beginning of the year,” Qualls said. “You know her love for pop culture and celebrities and things like that. When I decided to go ahead, and you know what, let’s logistically just fit this in. She was my first choice.”