Seniors will attend panels of college representatives during PSAT day on Oct. 15

Principal John Williams talks to secretary Jan Brown. This year on Oct. 15, seniors will attend panels of college representatives while other grades take the PLAN and PSAT. HELENA MA/PHOTO

According to Principal John Williams, seniors will listen to college representatives on Oct. 15 when freshman take the PLAN test and sophomores and juniors take the PSAT.

Assistant principal Brad Sever, who helped organize the schedule for seniors, said there will be four panels available. One panel will be targeted to the students who are interested in Ivy League schools and the other three panels will be available to all students. The panels will be made up of three to six people from colleges that the majority of seniors attend.

Principal John Williams talks to secretary Jan Brown.  This year on Oct. 15, seniors will attend panels of college representatives while other grades take the PLAN and PSAT. HELENA MA/PHOTO

“One option is for the students who are interested in Ivy League schools so we have a representative from Columbia University. The Columbia University is targeted to the students who are planning to apply or are in the process of applying to Ivy League schools. Students can get a ticket (for that session) from the guidance office,” Sever said. “The other three panels will be offered to all students and we’ll have a group of seniors in the auditorium, Fieldhouse, and varsity gym and those speakers will rotate around. One is going to focus on financial literacy and budgeting. Another will be focused on college life, and we’ll have residence directors and some college professors who will talk about what to expect in terms of life on campus. We have representatives from IU, Purdue, Ball State, DePauw, IUPUI. The last panel is going to focused on the social aspect and the academic aspect of college.”

Sever said that he hopes this year’s speakers will be more relevant to the seniors.

“We’ve tried hard to get speakers who will be applicable and relevant to students,” Sever said. “The feedback we got last year is that seniors wanted less about the admissions process and more about college life.”

“One of the things that we made a mistake a long time ago is that we had things (on PSAT day) that weren’t meaningful. And kids aren’t going to keep up with things that aren’t meaningful and that’s when they start leaving (school). Our point is before we can make them come, we have to give (activities) that we feel is meaningful,” Williams said.