Jazz Ensemble hosts auditions Nov. 18 to 20, practices to begin Nov. 24

Max Dunn, trumpet player and sophomore, examines his audition piece, an excerpt from “Blues for Alice” by Charlie Parker. According to Dunn, he auditions for Jazz Ensemble because jazz is his favorite type of music to play. KATIE LONG/PHOTO

According to Mike Pote, director of Jazz Ensemble I, Jazz Ensemble started to host auditions Nov. 18. Auditions will last until Nov. 20 and the directors will post the results in Room P105.

Jazz Ensemble consists of four groups, varying in skill and experience. Each ensemble consists of 18 to 25 saxophone,

Max Dunn, trumpet player and sophomore, examines his audition piece, an excerpt from "Blues for Alice" by Charlie Parker. According to Dunn, he auditions for Jazz Ensemble because jazz is his favorite type of music to play. KATIE LONG/PHOTO

trombone, trumpet, piano, bass and percussion players collectively.

Max Dunn, trumpet player and sophomore, participated in Jazz Ensemble last year. Dunn said he auditions for Jazz Ensemble because he enjoys jazz.

“When I first auditioned, I was very nervous, but as I go through it, I start to relax, and the tension goes down,” Dunn said.

Jazz Ensemble practices from 7 to 7:40 a.m. every school day; practices will begin Nov. 24. Because of the schedule, Pote said he looks for kids that want to learn and improve.

“(We’re looking for) people who want to work hard. Regardless of their talent level, they need to work hard. They’re (the Jazz Ensemble students) generally hardworking kids,” Pote said.