Orchestra to forgo chamber music this year

May+Zhang%2C+Concert+Orchestra+member+and+freshman%2C+fingers+her+violin+in+an+individual+playing+room+during+SRT.+She+was+playing+%E2%80%9CAllegro+Brillante%E2%80%9D.++
May Zhang, Concert Orchestra member and freshman, fingers her violin in an individual playing room during SRT. She was playing “Allegro Brillante”.

According to assistant orchestra director Elisabeth Ohly-Davis, orchestra members typically work on chamber music, music played in small groups of musicians, during the beginning of the second semester. However, they will not this year, as the chamber music will be replaced by a separate program for their Vienna trip during spring break. The orchestra members will be performing at St. Stephen’s Cathedral during the trip, which only allows religious pieces.

“We’re going to try to honor the culture and play like the musicians who would’ve been active in the culture in St. Stephen’s,” Ohly-Davis said.

Photo.Dai.1.9Evelyn Shan, Camerata Orchestra member and senior, said she is looking forward to both the Vienna trip and the rest of second semester.

“I’m excited to see what we can achieve, especially looking at how phenomenal of an experience it was to play at Midwest and seeing the turnout and all the praise afterwards from people who matter. It’s going to be a pretty cool year,” Shan said.

To read more about Symphony Orchestra’s recent trip to the Midwest Clinic, click here.