Senate to host Sadie Hawkins-Style Sock Hop Winter Dance on Jan. 30

Senate members will host the winter dance, a Sadie Hawkins sock hop, on Jan. 30, according to senator and senior Katelyn Davis, who is the chairperson of the committee in charge of the dance. It will take place in the fieldhouse from the end of the basketball game until 11 p.m., she said.

“It’s sock hop-themed. Think ‘Grease,’ the movie,” she said. “It’s going to be fun—guys in leather jackets with jeans rolled up and girls in poodle skirts.”

For right now, according to Davis, senators are working to organize the dance and encourage students to attend.

Senate members plan the winter dance during SRT. According to senator and senior Katelyn Davis, the dance will be a Sadie Hawkins- style dance. SARAH LIU/PHOTO

“Everybody is doing a lot of work doing the promotional aspect of the dance, like the video, because if we don’t get people to come, then it won’t be successful,” she said. “Today, we just went to find a (disc jockey) and decorations and everything. We just got together to talk about budget and decorations.”

Also on the agenda are ticket sales, which will take place during lunches over the next few weeks, Davis said. Tickets are $3 and are available for sale during all lunches.

A unique aspect of this year’s event is the fact that it is a Sadie Hawkins dance, meaning that female students are supposed to ask male students in a reversal of usual gender roles.

Mary Caltrider, committee co-chairperson, senator and junior, said although the Sadie Hawkins theme was a risk, it is one the committee members hope will pay off.

“We worried that this may dissuade people (from) attending,” she said. “However, so far the students’ reactions have been great.”

“We thought it would be fun for a change, just because typically guys ask girls,” Davis said. “It’s not the main theme, though; it doesn’t have to be that way.”

The most rewarding part of planning the dance, Caltrider said, is “being able to see all of it come together and seeing people enjoy this event that (we’ve) spent months on.”

According to her, ensuring a large student turnout and appeal to all grade levels comprise the biggest challenges in planning the dance.

Davis said, “I hope to have a big turnout and everybody to have a lot of fun.”