ComedySportz to host season opener on Feb. 19

Jacob Greene, ComedySportz member and sophomore, participates in a mock match with the rest of the team. Greene said the team members “are prepared” for the first match on Feb. 19. JASON KLEIN/PHOTO

CHS ComedySportz will host its first two regular season matches on Feb. 19 and Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m. in the studio theater. Jacob Greene, first-year ComedySportz member and sophomore, said that he’s looking forward to making his debut.

“I’m a little nervous, but I feel like all the practice with the people on the team has gotten me prepared and it’s going to be a blast when I go on stage,” Greene said.

According to ComedySportz sponsor Jim Peterson, back-to-back matches will be a regular feature this

year in order to account for the team’s 11 members.

“We doubled up our home matches to accommodate the kids, so they can do what they need to do and get some stage time,” he said.

Peterson added that, although the team is split between two groups, there is no difference in quality.

“We don’t do (varsity and junior varsity). We figure if you’re on the team, you’re on the team,” he said.

According to Greene, the first match will be the culmination of a personal ambition.

“It was something that I set a goal in freshman year, just to be in this group, and it’s been everything I imagined,” he said.