Key Club to help with Umojia Project, prepares for officer elections

On Feb. 28, Key Club members will help run the annual Kenya Carnival for the Umojia Project. The carnival will run from noon to 4 p.m. at the Second Presbyterian Church at 7700 N. Meridian St. The Umojia Project raises money to send orphaned Kenyan students to secondary school. Students can sign up to volunteer the Kenya Carnival for either Feb. 27 or 28. Those who volunteer for Feb. 27 should bring cakes for a cake walk or set up games such as corn hole, miniature golf and basketball. Volunteers for Feb. 28 will supervise children at these games and run concession stands.

Natasha Crasta, Key Club vice president and senior, and Stone Chen, Key Club member and sophomore, sort non-perishable food at the Feb. 19 club meeting. The food was put into care packages to be sent to people in the U.S. military. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO

Ben Sun, Key Club member and sophomore, plans to go to the Kenya Carnival on Feb. 28 to run the games.

“I feel the carnival is going to be very festive, because I’ve been to other carnivals at the elementary schools. My last experience volunteering for a carnival, I got to play with all the little kids there, and that was very pleasant,” he said.

Students can sign up for the Kenya Carnival online through the Key Club website.

Key Club will also select its executive officers in the next couple weeks. Students can apply for president, vice president and secretary.

According to club sponsor Jill Grimes, “We want everyone to apply that wants to apply, but we want you to be realistic in looking at your time commitment at school, the activities that you’re involved in and if you have the time to serve as an executive officer. It’s more than just standing and talking during the meetings.”

Executive officer applications and information sheets can be found at E229 and E232. Any student planning on becoming an officer must complete and turn in an application either to E229 or at the next Key Club meeting on March 5.