Chess Club prepares for team state tournament

Colin+Taylor+and+Ryan+Cole%2C+club+members+and+freshmen%2C+play+against+each+other+in+anticipation+of+the+state+tournament+on+March+23.+%E2%80%9CWe%E2%80%99re+going+to+win+again%2C%E2%80%9D+Cole+said.+
Colin Taylor and Ryan Cole, club members and freshmen, play against each other in anticipation of the state tournament on March 23. “We’re going to win again,” Cole said.

On March 23, Chess Club will compete in its state tournament for teams.

Chess Club has yet to determine the teams it will be sending to the spring state tournament, Sam Philleo, club co-president and sophomore, said. This year will be the fourth time CHS will participate in this tournament.

According to Jalen Faulcon, club member and freshman, the club lost “the master,” Sameer Manchanda ’14, who had been captain for the past three years and lead the CHS chess team to three consecutive state titles.

Despite the mounting pressures of the state tournament, Austin Heartman, club member and freshman, says he isn’t too intimidated. “Chess Club is still fun because it’s an enjoyable game,” he said. “(The meetings are where) you can hang out with friends being passionate in a game we all enjoy.”

Club sponsor Margaret Winans still welcomes new club members to the next Chess Club meeting, which will be on March 9 in Room F103 after school. Club members will play for both competition and recreation, learning new chess skills from other members, as well.

“I get to hang out with my friends after school and play chess. It doesn’t get better than that,” Colin Taylor, club member and freshman, said.