Academic Superbowl competition season starts

Academic Superbowl club members meet to go to invitational competition at Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School. “I think I’m very prepared. We have been meeting for a couple of weeks now, studying the materials independently in our groups,” junior Dorothy Vincent said. CAROLYN ZHANG/PHOTO

The Academic Superbowl competition has started. On Thursday, March 5, Academic Superbowl members traveled to Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School for their first invitational.

Academic Superbowl club members meet to go to an invitational. “We have been meeting for a couple of weeks now, studying the materials independently in our groups,” junior Dorothy Vincent said. CAROLYN ZHANG/PHOTO

According to club sponsor Matthew Dillon, it is one of the two practice invitational competitions before regionals, which will determine if CHS will move on to the state competition.

“Carmel High School students always perform well for Academic Superbowl. Usually, there’s one squad that qualifies for the state competition every year, and that says a lot about the quality of the students that we have her at Carmel High School,” Dillon said.

The club members have met for a couple of weeks to prepare for the upcoming competitions. For member and junior Dorothy Vincent, the team is prepared for the invitational.

“I think I’m very prepared. We have been meeting for a couple of weeks now, studying the materials independently in our groups,” Vincent said. “(My goal) is to get as many points as possible.”